Monday, March 3, 2008

Sleep Paralysis

nightmare.jpg
(from Henry Fuseli's The Nightmare)

This is one of the worst things I have experienced. It's when you wake up from sleeping, but you can't move... you're completely paralyzed. So you just lay there, completely awake and conscience, but also in this weird half dream state, unable to move or "wake up".

When you are in REM sleep, your body releases a chemical that paralyzes you, that way you don't flail around in your sleep while dreaming of running or something. Sleep paralysis happens when you wake up before that chemical has left your body.

The first few times it happened to me, it was terrifying. Panic sets in as you desperately try to wake up or move or do something (like yell for help) but nothing. Then all of a sudden you snap out of it (usually with a large gasp for me). It happens to me often enough that I can recognize it and not freak out too much and just let it pass (usually less than a minute). Also, I've learned to move slightly and make noises while in sleep paralysis.

Some people have vivid "dreams" while in sleep paralysis. I don't really. I just know that I'm awake, but unable to "wake up"... which is scary enough.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it as terrifying for you as it is for me (and most other people)?

2 comments:

Troy said...

I often get this when a nightmare or lucid dream startles me awake. My experience with it sounds very much like yours, but mine tends to wear off a little more gradually. I usually try my hardest to struggle physically and vocally to pull myself out of it, and only little by little can I move any muscles or make sounds.

The best way I can describe it is that it feels like a gradually diminishing electric current that's pinning me down, or like my entire body has "fallen asleep" - in the sense that an arm or leg falls asleep - and I only start to regain my body functions as the pins & needles sensation subsides.

How often does it happen to you?

Anonymous said...

I told you before that I have sleep paralysis all the time. Though it's usually when I wake up and go back to sleep or during intermitent sleep. And we have discussed how awful it is and no one else seems to understands it. Yours is probably from all the body building chems you take that screw with your brain function ;)

andrea