Saturday, October 13, 2007

Dyno Tuned the Vette

I got my car dyno tuned at 21st Century Muscle Cars. John Page (the shop owner) is very friendly, accommodating and knowledgable. Kenny K., who did the actual tuning, is extremely friendly and owns his own C6 which he modified (headers, cams, etc) and tuned himself.

I was expecting to dyno at 390 rwhp stock and gain about 5 rwhp from the tune. Instead I dyno'ed very low for an LS3 (364 rwhp) and gained 30 rwhp from the tune. Apparently my LS3 C6 is an anomaly and came from the factory pig rich (AFR for the first dyno run was below 10.0), which accounted for the low horsepower.

Most LS3's are 390 stock and gain 5 from a tune. I was about 365 and gained 30 from the tune. Either way, end result is 395 rwhp... so I shouldn't be too concerned, right? Right??

Btw, for you non car people out there, 395 rwhp means my car makes about 445 horsepower. Hell, let's just call it an even 450... :)

2 comments:

Badger said...

*cough* 445 *cough* ;-D

Christopher J. Bottaro said...

Ha, I was going to put an explanation on the original post about how I arrived at that number, but figured most readers don't give two shakes about rwhp vs hp. :)

Anyways, here's my rational: The LS3 makes an honest 35-40 more rwhp than the LS2 and we know that rwhp < hp, but can't really come up with an exact formula to define the relation... so I randomly picked hp = rwhp + 10 rather than the old "15% drivetrain loss" formula which I think is bs. :)

Ok ok, I was called out. My car honestly makes between 440 - 445 hp.

Note that GM rates it at 436 hp, I don't think a 7-8 hp underrating is out of the question. Plus the tune is worth at least 5.