Monday, October 8, 2007

Is a Mac really worth it?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Mac for a while now. I'd like both a MacBook as well as a Mac Mini. I'm not a normal computer user, so these would be the upgrades I'd get for each of them:

  • 2 gb memory
  • 7200 rpm hard drive
  • Superdrive (aka a dvd burner)
Both the MacBook and the Mac Mini come with 1 gb of memory via two 512 mb sticks. Guess how many memory slots each one has? You guessed it! If you want to upgrade to 2 gb, you can't reuse any of the memory that originally came with the machines.

You cannot add a Superdrive a la carte. You must order the higher end model of each machine to get it.

The 7200 rpm hard drive is about a $100 aftermarket upgrade.

So all said and done, that $500 Mac Mini is looking more like $800 and that $1100 MacBook is looking like $1500.

Now I can upgrade my current computer to have a much faster Core 2 Duo processor than either of those Macs, along with a video card that easily beats them, for a grand total of $400.

"Yeah, but OS X has the best, most badass, eye candy interface ever!" Ehh. Check out this video of what is going to be included in the default installation of (K)ubuntu Linux (released in 10 days).

So now I gotta ask myself... is TextMate really worth $400 to $1100?

3 comments:

Adam said...

No matter how Apple wants to spin it, their computers ARE more expensive than comparable PCs.

I think it's similar to buying a house (assuming both alternatives are within your budget). If you get some enjoyment/fulfillment in your life from a beautifully designed home, then the extra architectural/construction fees are worth it. If you simply get satisfaction from something generic but brand new, you don't need to spend the extra fees associated with a custom design.

Stephen Zabel said...

I don't think that Apple really tries to spin it. Most people don't buy a BMW and mod it out :) They buy the BWM because it works well and looks nice right off the bat.

From a coding perspective, it just feels better. Right now my work machine is a Dell d820 running Feisty. Yes it works. Is it quirky yes.

Yes the eye candy works. Did I have to spend a day compiling the latest NVidia drivers, have to spend time customizing my config file and does it still act wonky when I add/ subtract a monitor from it. Yes Does it put artifacts into my screen shots when I am running Compiz or Beryl. Yes.

People can bitch and moan about the price and the lack of customizing on an Apple, but when it comes down to it... I want to get things done not spend all day tinkering with my OS.

Christopher J. Bottaro said...

@stephen
I hear ya about it just working out of the box. That's why I'm so close to making the switch; I've kinda had it with spending hours on configuring Linux. On the other hand, I'm so good at setting up my development box, switching to Apple will probably cost me time rather than save it.

I really do want an Apple, if for nothing else than to play around with it; see what it does different (better and worse) than Linux.

Their hardware is a complete rip though. If they sold OS X that would run on PC hardware, I'd pay upwards of $200 for it. Really, how hard would it be to write drivers for a few select pieces of high quality hardware (call it Certified Apple or something).