Saturday, January 26, 2008

John Rambo

(Yes, he tears that guy's throat right out of his neck.)

Oh em eff gee... this is the movie that us children of the 80's action movie genre have been waiting for!! You see, my memories of action movies consists of close up shots of larger than life stars (aka Arnold Schwarzenegger) shooting a machine gun one handed, then cutting to a shot of dozens of men falling down. And that was cool back then... you know, when I was a kid.

Now I'm older... and I don't want to see campy nods to the old style 80's actions movies. I want all my old action stars like Rambo and Commando redone as modern, somewhat more believable films.

And that's exactly what Rambo delivers!! It ain't your 80's action flick that you take your 10 year old boy to see. It is violent. I mean really fucking violent. It has what I call "war atrocities" violence. Tons of innocent villagers are slaughtered in really gruesome ways. The war action is "realistic" like Saving Private Ryan... except there is TONS more of it. JR himself is really damn brutal... and he doesn't hold back even in front of the queasy ladies who are obviously very disturbed by the brutality of war (heh, I loved that scene).

So how does it stand up as a "movie"? Ehh.. the plot is extremely simple and is developed very quickly. Character development? I think JR is as developed as he's going to get. So it's standard action movie fair in that respect, but it's the action that makes the movie so great. Everyone want to see their favorite action hero kick some ass, but not in some cheesy, campy or too over the top way. Don't get me wrong... the action is crazy and over the top... and there are a few kinda cheesy parts... but all in all, it's not.

It's just damn brutal. I can't convey how graphically violent it is!! I think there was a good portion of the audience who went there to "have a laugh" or whatever. The movie isn't funny at all. No one was laughing. In fact, it's kind of hard to watch at times.

Kudos to Stallone (writer, director, star) for bringing back Rambo... even better than I remember.

Here are some fun Rambo stats that my friend Aaron sent to me...

2 comments:

Christopher J. Bottaro said...

I didn't mean to give the impression that this movie is just all about action. That would be a little unfair to Sly. There are a couple of interesting messages brought forth in the movie also: Violence must be used to stop violence. Most Americans live in a sheltered little bubble and spew out opinions and judgments which turn out to be ridiculous in the context of the real, brutal world.

Badger said...

AWESOME!