Saturday, January 5, 2008

New website idea

Those of you who know me know that I'm always coming up with web ideas and half-implementing them before giving up. I hate that. I hate that I haven't come up with an idea that's worth following through with.

So I've been trying to figure out what kind of website idea can feasibly be done single handedly and why all my other ideas fail... and I keep coming back to Lindsey's Dishola. I think that it's a great idea for a single person to implement for two main reasons (well, besides that the creator is extremely talented and motivated):

  1. The creator has a passion for the subject. Lindsey is a foodie, so he's following his passion.
  2. The site is based on limited content.

It's hard working on a project that you're not "into". I don't want to work 9 hours a day and come home and continue working on a Craigslist rip off. I'm just not that into selling stuff or posting job listings. That's why you need the passion.

The main problem with most of my website ideas is that they require a huge amount of content for people to even consider leaving the already established websites. Sharedive? No way it would ever come close to even taking on a portion of YouTube's content. Craigslist clone? Same problem... requires tons of new content on a daily basis to be useful.

Dishola, though, is different for two reasons. First, the content doesn't become old or stale- Craigslist and YouTube require tons of new content everyday to keep people interested. If I look up a dish or restaurant review, I don't really care that it's 6 months old. The second reason is that the content is limited. Lindsey and a few friends can probably cover most of Austin's restaurants in a few months, and that's enough to get the ball rolling for the site.

So what's my new idea? It's simply an Ultimate Car Page clone. Here's how I see it...

  • Yes it's already been done, but so has dish/restaurant reviews and Dishola is still a success.
  • It fits my passion. I will enjoy filling in the content for it, just like Lindsey enjoys doing dish reviews for Dishola.
  • The content is limited. Think of every make and model of car ever made. It's only in the thousands. Between me and a couple friends, I bet we could knock out 300 cars or so in a few months... and that's enough to get the ball rolling.

Obviously if I follow through on this, it would be an improvement on Ultimate Car Page and not just a clone. Think of it as Ultimate Car Page redone in Web 2.0... ;)

No comments: