Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Disabling Spotlight in Leopard (10.5.x)

There are a ton of guides out there for this already, but this is just for me personally so I don't have to search Google. Also, most of the guides are specific to Tiger. The ones that are specific for Leopard are incomplete.

Disable Spotlight...
Edit /etc/hostconfig and replace

SPOTLIGHT=-YES-
with
SPOTLIGHT=-NO-

Delete the Spotlight indexes...
Execute

sudo mdutil -i off /
sudo mdutil -E /

Remove Spotlight from the menubar...

sudo chmod 0000 /System/Library/CoreServices/Spotlight.app

To reverse the process.

Enable Spotlight...
Edit /etc/hostconfig and replace

SPOTLIGHT=-NO-
with
SPOTLIGHT=-YES-

Turn on the indexes...

sudo mdutil -i on /

Restore Spotlight in the menubar...

sudo chmod 755 /System/Library/CoreServices/Spotlight.app

7 comments:

Adam said...

So Spotlight no good?

Christopher J. Bottaro said...

No it's good... very good. I just wanted to try out Quicksliver and didn't want to have two desktop search engines running at the same time.

Quicksilver is awesome eyecandy, but I think Spotlight actually works better.

Anonymous said...

Heh... so not going to get into this religious discussion :P just trying out the OpenID login for blogger

Anonymous said...

I have an older Mac (PowerBook G4) that runs Leopard quite well, but Spotlight really drags. Even Quicksilver is slow. My solution is LaunchBar--it's really fast, ecen on this old machine.

So far I just re-mapped spotlight's keyboard shortcuts, but I guess I'll give a go at disabling it completely, since I never use it. I'm guessing re-enabling it is basically a reversal of the edits you list?

Anonymous said...

(And I see you did mention how to re-enable spotlight. Nevermind!)

Anonymous said...

When I go into hostconfig I don't get an option for spotlight. at all. what gives?

Christopher J. Bottaro said...

Anonymous, are you going into hostconfig or /etc/hostconfig ?

You're using Leopard (that's OS X 10.5.x), right?

I dunno, maybe you can just make the options yourself.