Sunday, February 24, 2008

MacBook review

Whoot, so I got a MacBook. Here's what I think about...

OS X complaints aside, it's an awesome laptop. It is exactly what I want. It's small, lightweight, looks great and is a hell of a lot faster than my old big clunky Pentium M 15.4" Dell laptop.

What I really like about it is its usability. It's the first laptop that I have owned where I don't feel the need to plug into an external keyboard/mouse/monitor. The keyboard feels great -- 90% as good as typing on a full keyboard. The track pad is fantastic. I love two finger scrolling (horizontally and vertically) and two finger tapping (right clicking). Between those two genius UI features, I barely miss mouse (highlighting text still isn't as easy).

It's not hot at all. I use it for hours on my bare legs and it's just warm.

The screen is pretty small (13.3") with low resolution (1280 x 800), but I wanted a small (1.08" x 12.78" x 8.92"), light (5.0 lbs) laptop, so that was just a compromise I had to make.

The only real complaint about the MacBook is the weak graphics processor (Intel GMA X3100). Expose and Spaces isn't nearly as smooth a Compiz Fusion in my 5 year old desktop with a budget Nvidia 7200 series graphics card. Who knows though, that might actually be an OS X problem.

Btw, VMware Fusion is the coolest, most mind blowingly awesome piece of software ever made. Ha, I've been saying that about VMware Workstation for years, but the Unity feature in Fusion takes the cake. ... but that is really for another blog post.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Any playback issues with standard or HD video due to the integrated graphics? On most computers, I've noticed iTunes will hang or stall a lot during video playback when you move the mouse over the window playing video and it brings up the transparent interface.