Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Biggest Apple Rip Off Yet

I was reading (and agreeing with) someone's gripe over Apple putting a combo drive in their "low end" MacBook when I realized that offence is nothing in comparison to their memory prices.

Recently, Apple quietly upgraded their MacBook lineup, which included officially extending the maximum supported memory to 4 gb. Great! The more the better, especially since I would be using VMware Fusion to run Windows and Linux along side OS X.

Here's the kicker, configuring a MacBook through Apple's online store will cost you $850 for 3 gb of memory. Yes, that's eight hundred and f-ing fifty dollars for a mere 3 gb of memory (remember, the 1st gb is including in the base price).

Let me put this in perspective. You can buy 4 gb of Patriot memory, specifically made for Mac notebooks, from Newegg for only $189. Yes, that's one full gb more for approximately $650 less than what Apple is charging.

Am I the only one outraged?

5 comments:

Stephen Zabel said...

Yes... the rest of us just get our memory else where.

Just like gambling is a tax on those that don't understand probability.

Adam said...

Yeah, it really does enrage me too. And the other thing is if you or I can get it for $189, what the hell is Apple paying for it? Apple has to be one of if not THE biggest buyer of RAM in the world....GRRRR.

Can I please just order my Macbook without memory and without a HDD....I know it sounds crazy, but not nearly as crazy as paying $800 for 3GB of RAM.

Christopher J. Bottaro said...

No, not crazy at all. Hell, I want one without hdd, memory and even a processor.

Adam said...

While they're at it, they might as well start selling OS X that comes with Apple stickers to cover up the embarrassing logos on our current laptops. That package would have to go for at least $500 according to their current price structure.

Anonymous said...

Same here, I got my ram at Newegg.com too.