Sunday, November 11, 2007

Moonshine, Austin Tx

I've been meaning to try this place ever since my boss mentioned that it's one of his favorites. It has been well over a year since he mentioned that, and I haven't thought about it since then until Aimee recently brought home some porkchops from there.

I'm not a fan of pork chops unless they are thin grilled Vietnamese style, but these thick ones from Moonshine were pretty good. They are described as "molasses and chili cured (for 24 hours) with an bourbon apple sauce."

Anyways, for whatever reason, me and Aimee [sic] decided to go there on Sat. Let me fill you in on a little background about myself. I hate crowds. I hate loud noises. I hate waiting. I hate "no parking." Aimee knew the only way she'd get me to go to a place downtown on the weekend is if we went early. So we went at 3:45 pm (we were both starving for some reason, so it worked out well).

I liked it. We sat outside on the patio and it wasn't crowded or loud at all. There was music playing, but it was very soft... you had to stop talking to hear it (i.e. perfect in my ears). Our server was very friendly and I had no reservations about giving her my standard 20%.

So here's the rundown...


Baked (really? I could have sworn it was fried) Bree with Ancho Pear Chutney and Toast Points

It was good, but not outstanding, IMO. Aimee was craving this standard faire appetizer, so I think it really hit the spot for her.

Broiled Rainbow Trout with Corn Bread Stuffing & Chile Sage Butter

This was recommended by the server (and my boss). It is awesome. It may not sound like it, but it is very rich. We speculate it's from a lot of butter and sugar in the cornbread stuffing. Definitely a dish to recommend and get again.

Crunchy Coated Snapper with Mango Relish, Crab Meat & Basil Pesto

Very good also. We both thoroughly enjoyed it, but it wasn't a show stopper like the trout. I did like that I could taste the red onions on it and the mango was in large slices and fresh and flavorful as well.

Baked Mac and Cheese (side)

Very good. Obviously not like what you would buy in a grocery store, but very rich and creamy instead. The top is browned from the baking.

Seasonal Vegetable Medley

Good. I ate all of mine (and Aimee's too later at home), which is saying a lot for veggies. It included corn, red cabbage and carrots.

Grilled Polenta with Parmesan and Fresh Herbs

Meh, I liked the normal cornbread better.

Harvest Moon Tea (alcoholic drink)

Good. It's pint sized for $6.75, which isn't too bad these days. Be warned, it's pink.

Hard Lemonade

The twist is mint. Aimee loved this and got two of them.

White Chocolate Bread Pudding

I think it was the ice cream that was white chocolate because I couldn't taste any white chocolate in the bread pudding. This was good, but I think at this point in the meal, we just got it to taste because we were so full. We didn't finish it even though it was very good.


The meal cost $79. 100% worth it for a "night out" or "date" type of meal.

P.S. The picture shown shows the stuffed trout (rear) that I got and the hard lemonade that Aimee got.

No comments: