Monday, December 3, 2007

4 Star Rating System

If you haven't noticed already, I'm quite an avid gamer. Not a fanboy or anything, but I do enjoy a good game on more than a casual level. I also read watch a lot of video game reviews on Gamespot, IGN and XPlay and often think about my personal spin on gaming.

Like I said before, I'm not a fanboy or hardcore game nerd. I have a girlfriend to tend to, a pup that's like a daughter to me, my Corvette to futz around with, a 9-to-8 (as opposed to 9-to-5) job, my personal blog and my software release blog (as in, I write software in my spare time). I'm somewhere between a casual gamer and an MMORPG addict. I'm looking to speak to gamers who fall into this demographic. I also believe this demographic will expand as gaming becomes more mainstream.

I guess this blog post is to announce that I'm going to officially start reviewing video games. I have done a couple of "reviews" already, but I'm going to try to standardize a format and rating system. I'll probably retroactively apply this system to the previous reviews.

I'm going to use a simple 4 star rating system...

  1. Bad
  2. Mediocre
  3. Good
  4. Awesome, outstanding, exceptional, go buy it right now.
The format will be a short list of pros and cons followed by in depth discussion of what stood out to me.

3 comments:

Adam said...

You should give a little preview of some of your favorites from the past....going way back maybe.

Some of my older favorites that would be worthy of four stars:

The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Brothers 3
Street Fighter II
Super Mario Kart
Golden Eye
Resident Evil 4

Christopher J. Bottaro said...

I disagree with Golden Eye. That game came out when I was completely enamored with Quake 2. At that time, PC games were light years ahead of console games (when it came to FPS games at least). I couldn't understand the big hoopla about Golden Eye when I had the vastly superior Quake 2 to play.

The Legend of Zelda was a bit before my time. In fact, I haven't played any Zelda games except for a Link to the Past and the Wind Waker. The former is definitely worthy of 4 out of 4, but I didn't take to the Wind Waker and didn't finish it.

I heard that Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever made, but I never played it.

Adam said...

Golden Eye was great because for three reasons I thought.

1. It was the first game to get first person controls right on a console. They will never surpass the precise controls of a mouse and keyboard, but they were really good for the time (the N64 had the first analog stick on a console controller).

2. The multiplayer was really fun. It was easy to pass a few hours killing friends while you varied all the game types. There were a ton of levels and even more options to configure for any type of game you wanted.

3. The story mode was really good. Atmospheric, submerging and good AI.