Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Merry Christmas to me!

Apparently my car's six track days has taken its toll, as seen by the picture (click for larger image). In case you don't know what you're looking at, there are two nicely cut grooves in my driver side front rotor. The same two grooves are starting on the passenger side, but aren't as deep yet.

What could have caused the brake pads to wear down so quickly (the car only has 5000 miles)? Well for starters, track time is very hard on brakes. Some people claim they can destroy pads in just a single track day! I'm too wet behind the ears for that. I suspect it had to do with my car participating in back to back to back sessions without any cooldown in between (me driving, instructor driving with me, Aimee driving, instructor driving with Aimee).

So now I have to get new pads and rotors, and as long as I'm replacing parts, I might as well "upgrade", right? :D

Here's the shopping list...

  • DBA 4000 Series slotted rotors (front) - $349.90
  • Hawk HPS brake pads (front) - $102.95
  • Hawk HPS brake pads (rear) - $74.95
  • StopTech braided stainless steel brake lines (front) - $72.00
  • StopTech braided stainless steel brake lines (rear) - $68.00
  • ATL Type 200 brake fluid (2L) - $21.98

Grand total... $689.78. Merry xmas to me... sigh... :(

2 comments:

Badger said...

You can just add two of each to the basket for me if you'd like ;)

Christopher J. Bottaro said...

Ha, if only. Chebby decided to use different rotor sizes for base, z51 and z06. Undoubtedly, your c5 z06 uses a different size as well. =/