Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Kudos to a Car Dealership?!

I admit... I'm usually the first to lambaste car dealerships. They seem all too quick to screw you over with voided warranties, ridiculous repair bills, damaging your ride in the repair process and last but not least, joyriding in you precious auto. But I actually had a good experience at Henna Chevrolet of Austin recently.

I had fried my brakes at a recent track event, and was planning on eating the costs and buying $700 worth of brake upgrades, but Aimee, a buddy of mine, and some members of Corvette Forum suggested that I try to get them replaced under warranty by playing dumb to the whole "track event" thing. So I decided to heed that advice... here's how it went...

Day 1

"No no no, not at all... I just take it on some mildly spirited joyrides in hill country, sir. What is this 'track' that you speak of?"
"Well it is a wearable part, a tech is going to have to check it out and see if it's bad enough for warranty repair."

Day 2

"Is it done yet?"
"We need to have another tech look at it."

"Is it done yet?"
"We need to have the head tech look at it and make a decision."

"Is it done yet?"
"We need to have the service manager look at it and make a decision."

Day 3

"Mr. Bottaro... after examining the tire wear and brake wear, it is apparent that this car has been run very hard at a track. (long pause, me sweating bullets) ...but that's ok, it's ok to take this car to the track. The service manager, who is an avid track enthusiast, personally suggests that you upgrade to aftermarket brakes if you continue to track your car like this. That being said, we will repair your brakes under warranty twice before you're on your own."

Ok, first off, I feel like a complete douchebag for lying to the service writer's face about not tracking the car. Second, wow... very cool!

1 comment:

Badger said...

Wow. You are seriously lucky!