Thursday, August 14, 2008

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey (variety pack)

259_whey-variety-box.jpg

I got the 16 flavor variety pack, here's the run down of what I thought of the flavors. This is how I make my protein smoothie...so take my taste analysis with a grain of salt (read: the yogurt and banana pretty much overpower the protein flavors).

Extreme Milk Chocolate

It tastes like watered down hot chocolate. Reminds me of the holidays. Might even have a hint of horchata. Chalkiness is minimal non existent. Overall, I don't really like it, but it is definitely non offensive.

Double Rich Chocolate

Very light flavor. I could barely taste it. It's a little chemically tasting too. This one isn't chalky at all either.

Caramel Toffee Fudge

I put in less water this time because I'm noticing a trend of very light flavors. Even with less water, I couldn't taste this one much. It still has the same chemically taste as the pervious ones and still no chalkiness. I think I like this one the best so far.

Vanilla Ice Cream

Another very light flavor. I could barely taste it. It did have that sort of chemically taste that all these flavors seem to have. It's not bad though; I think it's just a part of getting used to a new brand.

Delicious Strawberry

The strongest flavor so far; I can definitely taste it through the banana and yogurt... and it's good! Tastes like some kind of strawberry candy.

French Vanilla Creme

This is the best vanilla so far. It didn't seem to to have that chemically taste that Vanilla Ice Cream had.

Rocky Road

Tastes like all the other chocolates. I think I tasted a little marshmallow, but it might have been suggestive, rather than actual.

Orange Cream

Tastes like a melted creamsicle! I was impressed, but it seems like more of a "once in a while" type flavor.

Banana Cream

It wasn't as strong as Delicious Strawberry or Orange Cream. I could barely taste it. It just seemed like vanilla.

Strawberry Banana

Tasted like a lighter version of Delicious Strawberry

Chocolate Malt

Another chemically tasting chocolate.

Tropical Punch

Tastes like Hawaiian Punch. Pretty strong too. Kinda good, kinda weird.

Cookies and Cream

I just don't like ON's cookies and cream.

Mocha Cappuccino

This one is good, I would buy this.

Chocolate Mint

I like this one also. I think the mint masks the chemically taste that the chocolates tend to have.

Root Beer Float

I didn't try this one; sounds gross mixed with fruit.

Top 5 (in no particular order)

  • French Vanilla Creme
  • Delicious Strawberry
  • Mocha Cappuccino
  • Chocolate Mint
  • Caramel Toffee Fudge

I'm surprised by the fruit flavors. Most of them are good enough to purchase. Compare that with Muscle Milk's Strawberry Banana which makes me want to throw up.

No comments: